Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cryptid Mold

New York's Secret Underground World

10 posts in this topic

Published on Jan 19, 2014

New York City is the biggest city in the country, but it's got some dark secrets. Founded by covert groups, overrun with gangs and mob bosses, and ruled by secret societies, this is the true foundation of the city that never sleeps.

New York is a state in the Northeastern region of the United States. New York is the 27th-mostextensive, the third-most populous, and the seventh-most densely populated of the 50 United States. New York is bordered by New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south and by Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont to the east. The state has a maritime border with Rhode Island east of Long Island, as well as an international border with the Canadian provinces of Ontario to the west and north, and Quebec to the north. The state of New York is often referred to as New York State, so as to distinguish it from New York City.

New York City, with a Census-estimated population of over 8.3 million in 2012, is the most populous city in the United States. Alone, it makes up over 40 percent of the population of New York State. It is known for its status as a center for finance and culture and for its status as the largest gateway for immigration to the United States. New York City attracts considerably more foreign visitors than any other US city. Both the state and city were named for the 17th century Duke of York, future King James II of England.

New York was inhabited by various tribes of Algonquian and Iroquoian speaking Native Americans at the time Dutch settlers moved into the region in the early 17th century. In 1609, the region was first claimed by Henry Hudson for the Dutch. Fort Nassau was built near the site of the present-day capital of Albany in 1614. The Dutch soon also settled New Amsterdam and parts of the Hudson River Valley, establishing the colony of New Netherland. The British took over the colony by annexation in 1664.

The borders of the British colony, the Province of New York, were roughly similar to those of the present-day state. About one-third of all the battles of the Revolutionary War took place in New York. The state constitution was enacted in 1777. New York became the 11th state to ratify the United States Constitution, on July 26, 1788.

1 hour ago, Walk Softly said:

I've always been intrigued by this.  Especially the catacombs in Paris.  I'd love to go on an unofficial tour. 

Too bad I didn't know you when I used to travel to NYC all the time.  I always stayed at the Milford, which later became The Row.  I pretty much lived at the bar across the street that was called Smith's. 

You would had liked the tunnels I've seen as a kid when my Dad used to bring me down beneath Staten Island. Mysterious and spooky. He also used to bring me to the old ship graveyard as we called it here in Staten Island. He would bring me down into the ships as far as we could go down to the waterline depending on high or low tide. That was around 57 years ago, so most of those sunken tugs, barges, and ships have either rotted or rusted away by now.

I used to go out into the Kill Van Kull between NY and NJ where there was an island named shooters island. They used to build ships there during ww1, but was abandoned. When I was a kid, there was an old Indian woman living there on one of the wrecked barges in the pilot house. Many years later after she died, (I was a young teen) me and my friends went to the island in a row boat. We just happened onto that barge she lived in. In the pilot's house was a table with an old coal stove, and on her table was her last uneaten meal she never got to finish obviously because she died just before. Candles were everywhere all burnt down to nothing, and her shawl was hung over her chair for the last time where she would have sat to finish her meal. I'll never forget any of it as it has always left a lasting impression knowing I was witness to a place of someone demise, and which was forever captured in time.

2 people like this

Dang, I worked hard at researching and placing lot's of links, and stories.

They're all gone.

4 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

Dang, I worked hard at researching and placing lot's of links, and stories.

They're all gone.

once we are all sorted i will see if i cant pull the post up from the database for you.

30 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

once we are all sorted i will see if i cant pull the post up from the database for you.

k kool

For mole!

47 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

I've always been intrigued by this. Especially the catacombs in Paris. I'd love to go on an unofficial tour.

Too bad I didn't know you when I used to travel to NYC all the time. I always stayed at the Milford, which later became The Row. I pretty much lived at the bar across the street that was called Smith's.

You would had liked the tunnels I've seen as a kid when my Dad used to bring me down beneath Staten Island. Mysterious and spooky. He also used to bring me to the old ship graveyard as we called it here in Staten Island. He would bring me down into the ships as far as we could go down to the waterline depending on high or low tide. That was around 57 years ago, so most of those sunken tugs, barges, and ships have either rotted or rusted away by now.

I used to go out into the Kill Van Kull between NY and NJ where there was an island named shooters island. They used to build ships there during ww1, but was abandoned. When I was a kid, there was an old Indian woman living there on one of the wrecked barges in the pilot house. Many years later after she died, (I was a young teen) me and my friends went to the island in a row boat. We just happened onto that barge she lived in. In the pilot's house was a table with an old coal stove, and on her table was her last uneaten meal she never got to finish obviously because she died just before. Candles were everywhere all burnt down to nothing, and her shawl was hung over her chair for the last time where she would have sat to finish her meal. I'll never forget any of it as it has always left a lasting impression knowing I was witness to a place of someone demise, and which was forever captured in time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Staten+Island+boat+graveyard&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS583US584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxyJWn6KrNAhVJVh4KHZ28AvsQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=901#tbm=isch&q=Staten+Island+Old+Tunnels

https://www.google.com/search?q=Staten+Island+boat+graveyard&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS583US584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxyJWn6KrNAhVJVh4KHZ28AvsQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=901#tbm=isch&q=Staten+Island+Kill+Van+Kull

https://www.google.com/search?q=Staten+Island+boat+graveyard&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS583US584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxyJWn6KrNAhVJVh4KHZ28AvsQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=901#tbm=isch&q=Staten+Island+Shooters+Island

https://www.google.com/search?q=Staten+Island+boat+graveyard&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS583US584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxyJWn6KrNAhVJVh4KHZ28AvsQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=901

Good post. I actually sat and watched the entire video.

Thank heavens they nixed the commercials. That's what drives me nuts.

I loved the part about the 4000 pound wall at the 21 speakeasy.

I could see myself trying to get in there BITD.

So thirsty.

Very interesting! I'm glad I watched it.The trick shelves are so cool.
I would like to add this documentary. It's over an hour though.
It's about the homeless people living in the tunnels under NY.
It's sad but also kind of inspiring in a way. It stuck with me.
I posted this yesterday but it was lost so here it is.
Love your story about the old Indian woman.

Dark Days - Trailer

Full documentary

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.