Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

1% of world population owns almost half of its wealth

6 posts in this topic

Another report shows the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Boston Consulting Group says only one percent of the population can call themselves millionaires or richer, and the share of their wealth is growing.

Richest 62 people own as much as poorest half of world's population - report

About 18.5 million households have net assets of at least $1 million, totaling $78.8 trillion, which is near the global annual economic output, Boston Consulting said in its Global Wealth 2016 report.

That also amounts to 47 percent of total global wealth, i.e. financial assets (bonds, shares, cash and deposits) excluding property. Overall, global wealth grew by 5.2 percent to $168 trillion.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/business/345876-rich-poor-boston-consulting/

CEO's need to take a paycut and pay the workers more. 

Businesses are started to make a profit. The jobs created are a secondary benefit to the workers. The only things that set the wage of the employee are competition in the marketplace, government laws and the largess of the owners of the company.

I understand the frustration of a worker struggling to get by while the CEO makes 500 times more. But the company exists to make money and it should be their right to do as they please with their capital. If the company fails or moves to a more lucrative location or market, all the workers lose.

I think you forget that many entry level workers do not perform at a level justifying their current salaries, much less increased pay.

We need to focus on creating conditions for businesses where a dedicated, skilled worker can excel and move ahead in his company. This includes reducing the amount of government intrusion.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, VonLud said:

Businesses are started to make a profit. The jobs created are a secondary benefit to the workers. The only things that set the wage of the employee are competition in the marketplace, government laws and the largess of the owners of the company.

I understand the frustration of a worker struggling to get by while the CEO makes 500 times more. But the company exists to make money and it should be their right to do as they please with their capital. If the company fails or moves to a more lucrative location or market, all the workers lose.

I think you forget that many entry level workers do not perform at a level justifying their current salaries, much less increased pay.

We need to focus on creating conditions for businesses where a dedicated, skilled worker can excel and move ahead in his company. This includes reducing the amount of government intrusion.

So, we go back to 80 hour weeks,  no overtime pay, no paid holidays, buying groceries from the company store, no medical benefits, and give those 5 year olds back their age-old right to work? And dont think you'll just be allowed to start a business,  they wont neccesarily allow that either. It's all well and good to say a company has a right to do what they want with their profits and deregulated everything, but history shows what unfettered, unchecked greed will do. Don't like eminent domain? Thank the railroad barons. Don't like zoning restrictions? Business started those. Don't like K Street and lobbyists? You guessed it,  big business.  Who buys the politicians? The lawyers? 

@Cinnamon great topic. 

Edited by octopus prime

8 minutes ago, VonLud said:

Businesses profit by outsourcing every chance they get. Those who must hire inside the leaky border often choose illegals. Right-to-work destroyed many high-paying construction jobs, which are now done by Mexicans and Central Americans. Exceptions include government workers and teachers, who must keep their heads down and obey the new system if they want to keep their positions. 

Yes, I know that uppity yuppies and their children are too good to get their hands dirty. They have heeded the siren song of upward mobility through a college education and white collar office job. Those jobs are also dwindling  None of this asinine mess is accidental. It has been the NWO agenda for some time. We are being flooded with the poor or radicalized peons from the rest of the world. 

The US is on its way to being a banana republic. 

16 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

So, we go back to 80 hour weeks,  no overtime pay, no paid holidays, buying groceries from the company store, no medical benefits, and give those 5 year olds back their age-old right to work? And dont think you'll just be allowed to start a business,  they wont neccesarily allow that either. It's all well and good to say a company has a right to do what they want with their profits and deregulated everything, but history shows what unfettered, unchecked greed will do. Don't like eminent domain? Thank the railroad barons. Don't like zoning restrictions? Business started those. Don't like K Street and lobbyists? You guessed it,  big business.  Who buys the politicians? The lawyers? 

@Cinnamon great topic. 

That's one hell of a false dichotomy you set up there.

"Reducing the amount of government intrusion", means much more than handing over capitalism to the robber-barons.

I'm sure a smart guy like you can think of some constructive ways this reduction might occur.

8 minutes ago, VonLud said:

That's one hell of a false dichotomy you set up there.

"Reducing the amount of government intrusion", means much more than handing over capitalism to the robber-barons.

I'm sure a smart guy like you can think of some constructive ways this reduction might occur.

Nothing false about it,  that's the state we would be in if it was left unfettered, we were already there. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty the government could and should do to get out of the way.  Tax exemption for new business,  tax breaks for businesses that show net gains in employment,  etc. 

Grav touched on right to  work and illegal immigrants pulling wages down, and outsourcing. Those issues need to be addressed.  Like most things,  it's a complicated issue. 

I read your statement as giving big business pretty much whatever they want, if I  misunderstood your intent, my mistake. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.