Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Police: Missing NASA Scientist Found Dead

2 posts in this topic

Authorities say a NASA research scientist who worked at the Wallops Flight Facility has been found dead a day after her family reported her missing.

Police said the body of 48-year-old Tiffany Moisan of Princess Anne was found Sunday in a wooded area behind a Food Lion store. Moisan's family reported her missing Saturday to Maryland State Police.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-missing-nasa-scientist-found-dead-39663959

She was studying oceans and phytoplankton.  Cause of death is not yet determined, awaiting autopsy. Wonder if she found something that someone didn't want known? 

http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/tiffany.a.moisan

Tiffany A Moisan

(AST, OCEANOGRAPHIC STUDIES)

tiffany.a.moisan@nasa.gov

757.824.1046 | 757.824.1036

Org Code: 610.W

NASA/GSFC

Mail Code: 610.W

Wallops , VA 23337

Employer: NASA

Curriculum Vitae Selected Publications

Positions/Employment

1/2000 - Present

NASA Research Scientist

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center , Wallops Flight Facility Wallops Island, Va 23337  My research interests are in phytoplankton physiology and optics with relationships to taxonomic composition of the phytoplankton community. My interests are in the Ocean Color Mission and Global Climate Change. I also have interests in NASA Education and Public Outreach.

Research Interests

Understanding Phytoplankton Optics and Physiology as it Relates to the Carbon Cycle and Biodiversity

My overall research interests are in understanding the distribution, ecology, and physiology of marine phytoplankton and their role in the carbon cycle. Specifically, I have focused on characterizing the relationship between photosynthesis and the optics, ecology, lifecycles, pigmentation, and taxonomic composition of the polar, and temperate phytoplankton community. I have approached this goal by conducting laboratory-, field- or remote sensing-based programs. Specifically, I have sought to understand the relationship between the inherent and apparent optical properties to phytoplankton standing stocks and productivity. Using the previous approaches, I have sought to understand the underlying physiological mechanisms and taxonomic composition (biodiversity) of phytoplankton.

My interests also extendt to the sustainability and climate change adaptation with specific interests in coastal areas such NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Wallops Island. My work is focused with Climate Adaptation Science Initiative (CASI) Team which seeks to understand the climate in specific regions located near NASA Centers. Our project seeks to understand sea level rise, precipitation, and biodiversity in coastal regions. We will utilize several approaches to understanding the fundamental climate system in the Delmarva Peninsula including IPCC model estimates, satellite remote sensing, and historical variables. 

I am also a member of the International Coastal Working group for the Hyspiri Mission. The Hyspiri Mission is a hyper-spectral satellite sensor designed to measure ocean color and sea surface temperature along coastal regions of the US. The Hyperspectral Infrared Imager or HyspIRI mission will study the world’s ecosystems and provide critical information on natural disasters such as volcanoes, wildfires and drought.

Education

Ph.D Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD (1994-1999)

M.S. Old Dominion University 

B.S. Texas A&M

Professional Societies

American Geophysical Union, American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, International Society of Photosynthesis Research, Northeast Algal Society, Oceanography Society , 2013 - Present

Awards

Innovative Remote Sensing AwardEditRe-order
Takeda Foundation in Japan

Education and Public Outreach Peer Award
NASA

Women in Optics 2013EditRe-order
SPIE (The international society for optics and photonics)
January 2013

SPIE Women in Optics promotes personal and professional growth for women through community building, networking opportunities and encouraging young women to choose optics as a career.

NASA Earth Science Systems Fellowship

Selected Publications

Refereed

Moisan, T. A., J. R. Moisan, and M. A. Linkswiler. 2013. "Algorithm development for predicting biodiversity based on phytoplankton absorption." Continental Shelf Research, 55: 17-28 [10.1016/j.csr.2012.12.011]

Moisan, J. R., T. A. Moisan, and M. A. Linkswiler. 2011. "An inverse modeling approach to estimating phytoplankton pigment concentrations from phytoplankton absorption spectra." J. Geophys. Res., 116 (C9): C09018 [10.1029/2010JC006786]

Moisan, T. A., R. N. Swift, B. A. Campbell, et al. 2008. "A Practical Application of Ocean Color Methodology to an Undergraduate Curriculum." J Sci Educ Technol, 17 (3): 252-261 [10.1007/s10956-008-9095-5]

Moisan, T. A., J. K. Nolan, B. Campbell, and E. R. Firestone. 2008. "Rising Tides." NASA: Coastal Observations: A Biological Perspective, 65 pp.

Moisan, J. R., T. A. Moisan, and M. R. Abbott. 2002. "Modelling the effect of temperature on the maximum growth rates of phytoplankton populations." Ecol Model, 153: 197-215.

Non-Refereed

Makinen, C. P., T. A. Moisan, and A. Mannino. 2007. "Bio- physical Interactions in Ocean Margin Ecosystems (BIOME): The BIOME I AND BIOME II Cruise Report." NASA Tech Memo 2007-214157 1: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland.

Blattner, K. L., T. A. Moisan, and A. Mannino. 2007. "Bio-physical Interactions in Ocean Margin Ecosystems (BIOME): The BIOME III, BIOME IV, and BIOME V Cruise Report." NASA Tech Memo 2007-214157 2: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland.

Campbell, B., T. Riley, and T. A. Moisan. 2006. "Wallops and NOAA Monitoring the Chesapeake: CoastalObs III Program, A NASA/NOAA/CIT Joint Program." Goddard View 2 (14): 40244.

Campbell, B., T. Riley, T. A. Moisan, and J. R. Moisan. 2006. "CoastalObs III at Work in the Chesapeake Bay." ORION NewsletterSummer 2006: 3-4.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.