Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
octopus prime

General John Alexander Logan

9 posts in this topic

Creating force behind Memorial Day.  No one remembers him.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/John-A-Logan.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

John A. "Black Jack" Logan, arguably the most successful of the Union army's political generals, was born in pro-slavery region of Southern Illinois in 1826. His father, a successful doctor and farmer, was also heavily involved in local and state politics, representing Franklin and Jackson counties in the Illinois State assembly for nearly a decade. After a smattering of formal and informal education, John Logan volunteered for service in the Mexican War but was mustered out in 1848 without seeing any action. He attended law school at Louisville University and after a brief stint as a prosecuting attorney, turned to politics, winning his father's seat in the state assembly in 1853.

RELATED BATTLES

Fort Donelson

Port Gibson

Raymond

Champion Hill

Resaca

Vicksburg

Dallas

Logan was elected to the United States House of Representatives as a Democrat in 1858 and retained his seat in the election of 1860. His political views were in line with his southern Illinois roots. He was anti-abolition, and an ardent supporter of fugitive slave laws. However, where the issue of secession was concerned, Logan could not see eye-to-eye with his fellow Democrats from the South; the Union must be preserved.

Logan followed his convictions—and the U.S. Army—into the First Battle of Bull Run, where he was a volunteer with the 2nd Michigan. Afterward, he returned to his home state to raise the 31st Illinois, becoming its colonel. He led the regiment at the Battle of Belmont, Fort Henry, and Fort Donelson where he received a grave wound. While recuperating, the former congressman was promoted to brigadier general and returned to the front as a brigade commander in the Seventeenth Corps of the Army of the Tennessee.

Unlike many other politician-generals, "Black Jack" Logan excelled in the military. By March of 1863, Logan was a major general commanding a division. He continued to lead with distinction during the campaign to capture Vicksburg, most notably in the assault following the explosion of a mine. After Vicksburg, Logan was given command of the Fifteenth Corps on October 27, 1863 and continued to earn recognition for his leadership during the Atlanta campaign the following spring and summer.

When his immediate superior, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson was killed in the Battle of Atlanta, Logan temporarily commanded the Army of the Tennessee but was subsequently replaced by West Point graduate Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard, presumably because William T. Sherman was skeptical of politicians in uniform. The Illinoisan viewed this as a personal slight which gave him a very dim view of West Pointers in the future.

Logan put on his politician hat in the fall of 1864, returning to his home state to campaign for Abraham Lincoln--a marked contrast for the erstwhile Democrat. In December, the major general returned to the field at the head of the Fifteenth Corps until the cessation of hostilities. He was given command of the Army of the Tennessee on May 23, 1865--just in time to lead it in the Grand Review in Washington, DC.

After the war, Logan wasted no time in returning to politics. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1866--this time as a Republican--and continued to represent the people of Illinois in the House and Senate until his death in 1886. Logan was also a founding member of the Grand Army of the Republic, a champion of Union war veterans, and is credited as the founder of Memorial Day. He is buried in the Soldiers Home National Cemetery in Washington, DC.

Even "political officers" were made of sterner material in those days. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

Creating force behind Memorial Day.  No one remembers him.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/John-A-Logan.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

John A. "Black Jack" Logan, arguably the most successful of the Union army's political generals, was born in pro-slavery region of Southern Illinois in 1826. His father, a successful doctor and farmer, was also heavily involved in local and state politics, representing Franklin and Jackson counties in the Illinois State assembly for nearly a decade. After a smattering of formal and informal education, John Logan volunteered for service in the Mexican War but was mustered out in 1848 without seeing any action. He attended law school at Louisville University and after a brief stint as a prosecuting attorney, turned to politics, winning his father's seat in the state assembly in 1853.

RELATED BATTLES

Fort Donelson

Port Gibson

Raymond

Champion Hill

Resaca

Vicksburg

Dallas

Logan was elected to the United States House of Representatives as a Democrat in 1858 and retained his seat in the election of 1860. His political views were in line with his southern Illinois roots. He was anti-abolition, and an ardent supporter of fugitive slave laws. However, where the issue of secession was concerned, Logan could not see eye-to-eye with his fellow Democrats from the South; the Union must be preserved.

Logan followed his convictions—and the U.S. Army—into the First Battle of Bull Run, where he was a volunteer with the 2nd Michigan. Afterward, he returned to his home state to raise the 31st Illinois, becoming its colonel. He led the regiment at the Battle of Belmont, Fort Henry, and Fort Donelson where he received a grave wound. While recuperating, the former congressman was promoted to brigadier general and returned to the front as a brigade commander in the Seventeenth Corps of the Army of the Tennessee.

Unlike many other politician-generals, "Black Jack" Logan excelled in the military. By March of 1863, Logan was a major general commanding a division. He continued to lead with distinction during the campaign to capture Vicksburg, most notably in the assault following the explosion of a mine. After Vicksburg, Logan was given command of the Fifteenth Corps on October 27, 1863 and continued to earn recognition for his leadership during the Atlanta campaign the following spring and summer.

When his immediate superior, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson was killed in the Battle of Atlanta, Logan temporarily commanded the Army of the Tennessee but was subsequently replaced by West Point graduate Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard, presumably because William T. Sherman was skeptical of politicians in uniform. The Illinoisan viewed this as a personal slight which gave him a very dim view of West Pointers in the future.

Logan put on his politician hat in the fall of 1864, returning to his home state to campaign for Abraham Lincoln--a marked contrast for the erstwhile Democrat. In December, the major general returned to the field at the head of the Fifteenth Corps until the cessation of hostilities. He was given command of the Army of the Tennessee on May 23, 1865--just in time to lead it in the Grand Review in Washington, DC.

After the war, Logan wasted no time in returning to politics. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1866--this time as a Republican--and continued to represent the people of Illinois in the House and Senate until his death in 1886. Logan was also a founding member of the Grand Army of the Republic, a champion of Union war veterans, and is credited as the founder of Memorial Day. He is buried in the Soldiers Home National Cemetery in Washington, DC.

Even "political officers" were made of sterner material in those days. 

Thx Snake, I didn't know this, ya learn something new every day!! I thought the only "Black Jack" was Gen. Pershing.

I LOVE history...Thank you!

Of late I've been reading about the Culper Spy Ring. Interesting stuff. What I find ironic is that we were all taught as children that George Washington (711) never told a lie. In reality, George's lies led to our independence.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, CGK said:

Of late I've been reading about the Culper Spy Ring. Interesting stuff. What I find ironic is that we were all taught as children that George Washington (711) never told a lie. In reality, George's lies led to our independence.

Why would they lie to us and tell us that George Washington couldn't tell a lie?  I'm scarred for life now.  

6 hours ago, CGK said:

I've been meaning to watch the AMC show Turn. Looks very good from what I've seen. AMC certainly has some good shows they are putting together. 

3 hours ago, Rustydog said:

I've been meaning to watch the AMC show Turn. Looks very good from what I've seen. AMC certainly has some good shows they are putting together. 

Turn is what got me started on doing research into the Culper Ring. You can get the first 2 seasons for free on Netflix. The 3rd season is in full swing now. I had to purchase a season pass on Hulu to catch up to where the series is now. If you have cable you can watch it on AMC..but only the current week. If you are going to watch the series....start at the beginning.

1 minute ago, CGK said:

Turn is what got me started on doing research into the Culper Ring. You can get the first 2 seasons for free on Netflix. The 3rd season is in full swing now. I had to purchase a season pass on Hulu to catch up to where the series is now. If you have cable you can watch it on AMC..but only the current week. If you are going to watch the series....start at the beginning.

Brad Meltzer's Decoded did a piece on the Culper Ring, that was the first I had heard of it. I've caught a few episodes of Turn, but like you said, I was lost catching it in the middle. Looked very good tho, I'll definitely have to start from the begining.

4 minutes ago, Rustydog said:

Brad Meltzer's Decoded did a piece on the Culper Ring, that was the first I had heard of it. I've caught a few episodes of Turn, but like you said, I was lost catching it in the middle. Looked very good tho, I'll definitely have to start from the begining.

If you want to do some research into the spy ring...http://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/the-revolutionary-war/

You can download/view Culpers code book.

I thought it was interesting that Henry Clinton, who was the British Generals code number was the number 712. That's the number of super delegates Hillary needs to secure the nomination. Numbers fascinate me.

40 minutes ago, CGK said:

If you want to do some research into the spy ring...http://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/the-revolutionary-war/

You can download/view Culpers code book.

I thought it was interesting that Henry Clinton, who was the British Generals code number was the number 712. That's the number of super delegates Hillary needs to secure the nomination. Numbers fascinate me.

That is a strange coincidence!! I'll have to ck these links out, thx. Another fascinating story, related to the Culper Ring, was Bennedict Arnold trying to turn over West Point. I believe it was the Culper Ring that thwarted this attempted treason.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.