Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DarkKnightNomeD

"'Rise in patriotism' sparks American flag sales surge"

13 posts in this topic

Millons made in china.

:IjskEWt:

American flag sales bask in new glory

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/29/american-flag-sales-bask-new-glory/85142626/

-

MILWAUKEE — In the flag business, summertime is like Christmas. After Memorial Day weekend, there’s Flag Day (June 14) and the Fourth of July, which all give sales a healthy boost.

Eder Flag Manufacturing Co. in Oak Creek says it’s having a banner year. Sales are up 15% from a year ago, partly from 2016 being a national election year and political events needing flags.

An improved construction industry has helped, too, as new buildings often get new flags.

“Most importantly, we feel there’s a rise in patriotism,” said Jodi Goglio, chief operating officer at Eder, a company that has been making flags for more than a century and dates to 1887 when the Eder family started a business making pillows, felt pennants, rag dolls and hunting jackets.

For many flag companies, sales soared following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Eder made the flag that firefighters grabbed from a yacht and raised at New York’s ground zero on Sept. 11, a scene immortalized in a now iconic photo.

7 hours ago, DarkKnightNomeD said:

Millons made in china.

:IjskEWt:

American flag sales bask in new glory

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/29/american-flag-sales-bask-new-glory/85142626/

-

MILWAUKEE — In the flag business, summertime is like Christmas. After Memorial Day weekend, there’s Flag Day (June 14) and the Fourth of July, which all give sales a healthy boost.

Eder Flag Manufacturing Co. in Oak Creek says it’s having a banner year. Sales are up 15% from a year ago, partly from 2016 being a national election year and political events needing flags.

An improved construction industry has helped, too, as new buildings often get new flags.

“Most importantly, we feel there’s a rise in patriotism,” said Jodi Goglio, chief operating officer at Eder, a company that has been making flags for more than a century and dates to 1887 when the Eder family started a business making pillows, felt pennants, rag dolls and hunting jackets.

For many flag companies, sales soared following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Eder made the flag that firefighters grabbed from a yacht and raised at New York’s ground zero on Sept. 11, a scene immortalized in a now iconic photo.

Wow that about sums up the problem. A surge in Chinese made American flags. Is nothing sacred, besides the dollar, to anyone anymore??

Flags actually made in USA would sell like hotcakes.

52 minutes ago, Brio said:

Flags actually made in USA would sell like hotcakes.

I agree, I refuse to buy anything not made in the US, if I can have a choice. Unfortunately some things are simply not available made in US. But the garbage the Walmart shelves are full of are no good. I wonder what is sparking this surge in flag sales?? After 9/11 it was pretty obvious why. Maybe Trump's talk of making America great again??

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Rustydog said:

I agree, I refuse to buy anything not made in the US, if I can have a choice. Unfortunately some things are simply not available made in US. But the garbage the Walmart shelves are full of are no good. I wonder what is sparking this surge in flag sales?? After 9/11 it was pretty obvious why. Maybe Trump's talk of making America great again??

That's how you do it. The dollar is all corporations understand and respect and if they weren't making tons of money selling Chinese plastic they wouldn't be doing it. But they do and they are. I'm same, I look for Canadian first, USA next and if I can't find it I don't need it. I can grow or make it myself or just go without.

I imagine Trump has a lot to do with it yes, he's saying what Americans want to hear. Close the borders, end the wars.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Brio said:

That's how you do it. The dollar is all corporations understand and respect and if they weren't making tons of money selling Chinese plastic they wouldn't be doing it. But they do and they are. I'm same, I look for Canadian first, USA next and if I can't find it I don't need it. I can grow or make it myself or just go without.

I imagine Trump has a lot to do with it yes, he's saying what Americans want to hear. Close the borders, end the wars.

I'm not fully convinced it's not a game Trump is playing along with the other candidate thing. But I know that Trump is not a political insider, and that is enough for me. The inmates have been In  charge of the asylum for far too long!!!

Edited by Rustydog

1 minute ago, Rustydog said:

I'm not fully convinced it's not a game Trump is playing along with the other candidate thing. But I know that Trump is not a political insider, and that is enough for me. The inmates have been In  charge of the asylum for far too long!!!

As a Canuck i have no pony in the race but I do have an opinion and that is

1) Trump has truly shaken up the establishment

2) He's a bankruptcy expert which the US (indeed most nations) need.

For those 2 reasons alone he's miles ahead of the field.

2 minutes ago, Brio said:

As a Canuck i have no pony in the race but I do have an opinion and that is

1) Trump has truly shaken up the establishment

2) He's a bankruptcy expert which the US (indeed most nations) need.

For those 2 reasons alone he's miles ahead of the field.

Agreed, and I don't think we have much more time with the Neocons at the helm. Something must be done, the people in power now will not stop until they have sucked us dry!! Ive not followed Canadian politics, how is new PM doing for yas?? Justin Thiroix?? Maybe?? That last name looks pretty far off?? He seemed to me to be a refreshing face in the shady political scene.

45 minutes ago, Rustydog said:

I hate to mention it, but let us not forget it is also flag burning season, and protesters have to get their flags from somewhere.

1 minute ago, Rustydog said:

He seemed to me to be a refreshing face in the shady political scene.

Trudeau. I kinda thought he might turn us around but so far he's just a Northern Oblahblah, talk is cheap.

1 minute ago, RabidWolf said:

I hate to mention it, but let us not forget it is also flag burning season, and protesters have to get their flags from somewhere.

Anyone burning anot American flag deserves whatever spontaneous combustion that they get. I get so upset with our current government I'm ready to fly the old stars and bars, or a confederate flag, or even the don't tread on me flag. A revolution is needed.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Brio said:

Trudeau. I kinda thought he might turn us around but so far he's just a Northern Oblahblah, talk is cheap.

Isn't that the truth!! They all say what we want to hear, then once elected revert back to everything they campaigned against. Once they get a taste of the power corruption is not far away.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.