Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

How Empathic Are You?

16 posts in this topic

How Empathic Are You? Time to find out! we got enough doom. and need some fun up in here.

Do you burst into tears in solidarity as soon as your mum starts crying? Or do you struggle to figure out how your friends are feeling?

There’s a questionnaire, based on real psychological science, that can determine how empathic you are, but first you should know a few things about what it means.

“The way I think of [empathy] is as this emotional resonance that we have with other individuals when we come to interact with them or share an experience with them,” psychologist Nathan Spreng told BuzzFeed Science.

In 2009, Spreng, now an assistant professor at Cornell University, and colleagues published something called the Toronto Empathy Questionnaire that measures how empathic someone is, based on their own reflections of their behaviour.

TAKE THE QUIZ HERE AND POST YOUR RESULTS

MY RESULTS!

You Got: High empathy Your score of 57 out of a possible 64 means you have a high level of empathy.

You scored above average for this test – the mean score among participants of the study was 46 (although Spreng pointed out to BuzzFeed Science that the study participants, who were all Canadian undergraduates, might not be a strictly representative sample).

You're sensitive to the feelings of other people, which is mostly a good thing. You hate to see other people behaving thoughtlessly and being hurtful towards others, and sometimes get upset at disturbing stories you see in the news. But on the plus side, when a friend or loved one is happy and excited, that feeling rubs off on you too.

Sometimes you wish you could brush things off more easily. But overall being able to read others is a very useful skill, and being able to tell when your friends need cheering up makes you a great person to be around.

Your score of 63 out of a possible 64 means you have a very high level of empathy

You scored well above average for this test – the mean score among participants of the study was 46 (although Spreng pointed out to BuzzFeed Science that the study participants, who were all Canadian undergraduates, might not be a strictly representative sample). 

You're highly sensitive to the feelings of other people, which has a lot of benefits, although you do see the downsides too. You hate to see other people behaving thoughtlessly and being hurtful towards others, and often get upset at disturbing stories you see in the news. But on the plus side, when a friend or loved one is happy and excited, it makes you feel that way too. 

Your very high empathy levels can sometimes make you vulnerable, especially if you find yourself always trying to cheer other people up, or experiencing certain emotions when you’d prefer not to (like crying whenever anyone else does, for example). But being in tune with others it’s a useful skill to have, and one you wouldn’t want to give up.

A person on the most part will make their own mess I mean nest . I say sleep in it .

I think this test was rigged !

I answered sometimes to most of the questions . You Got: Low empathy .  So I am a asshole now . Geeeeeeeesh

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, CSB said:

A person on the most part will make their own mess I mean nest . I say sleep in it .

I think this test was rigged !

I answered sometimes to most of the questions . You Got: Low empathy .  So I am a asshole now . Geeeeeeeesh

*hugs* all shall be fine CSB!

1 person likes this

lol.... I scored "AAAHHHHHHH" ....... I break tests.

:1jtAL34:

Test is easy to cheat on, yes. I got 54 but found it a little skewed. For ie, I have a sister who bursts into tears and rage daily through circumstances of her own making and talks endlessly about her troubles. I can't honestly say I have much desire to be empathetic after 40 years of it. So it's her fault I scored low :chuckle:

What's Your Empathy Score?You Got: High empathy Your score of 55 out of a possible 64 means you have a high level of empathy.

You scored above average for this test – the mean score among participants of the study was 46 (although Spreng pointed out to BuzzFeed Science that the study participants, who were all Canadian undergraduates, might not be a strictly representative sample).

You're sensitive to the feelings of other people, which is mostly a good thing. You hate to see other people behaving thoughtlessly and being hurtful towards others, and sometimes get upset at disturbing stories you see in the news. But on the plus side, when a friend or loved one is happy and excited, that feeling rubs off on you too.

Sometimes you wish you could brush things off more easily. But overall being able to read others is a very useful skill, and being able to tell when your friends need cheering up makes you a great person to be around.

I've been an empath all my life,it makes one's life a misery if you do not know what it is,and how to handle it. My adoptive mother told me i was daft in the head,when i tried to explain to her in childhood,that i felt things differently and brutally deeply and powerfully when i was a kiddie. As the character John coffey said in The Green Mile,the "world is sharp,like needles'

Well i got this horrific grief,some time ago,outa the blue,myself and my family was fine,i didn't know WTH it could be.I was debilitated with grief,it was almost biblical-i mean i've suffered from major depressive disorder All my life but this was like a grief Attack,for about 3 days i was crying so hard i could hardly see outa my eyes,they were Swollen from weeping,i was Keening and howling with grief - then a week after that,i got a very tragic email from a much beloved friend on the other side of the world,in the Ukraine,a wonderful young girl who is extremely dear to my heart,almost like my own children-she is one of those people who is Everything that is right with this world,and also her parents+brother and sister,just the best people in the world- and she told that a week before,her dearly beloved father died -as a result of falling off his horse and knocking his head on a rock. She had been too consumed with grief to even write about it to me before that day. But somehow,i Felt her horrible grief,from the other side of the world,and i grieved with her,most terribly.

1 person likes this

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, Raxoxane said:

I've been an empath all my life,it makes one's life a misery if you do not know what it is,and how to handle it. My adoptive mother told me i was daft in the head,when i tried to explain to her in childhood,that i felt things differently and brutally deeply and powerfully when i was a kiddie. As the character John coffey said in The Green Mile,the "world is sharp,like needles'

You are not alone. The best part of my childhood was that it ended. When I was small I thought everyone thought the way I did but going to school changed that and it was horribly traumatic. Spending so much time, day after day, with people (both the kids and the teachers) was too much for me. I started to think I was crazy and so did my parents. I spent a lot of time with psychologists while growing up. It didn't help one bit. lol

1 person likes this

You Got: High empathyYour score of 54 out of a possible 64 means you have a high level of empathy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.