Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

Cincinnati Zoo gorilla killed after 4yo kid falls into exhibit moat (VIDEO)

4 posts in this topic

There were three gorillas at the area at the time – two females and one male, a western lowland gorilla called Harambe, who had turned 17 only a day earlier. The females were recalled immediately, but Harambe stayed in the yard with the child.

The 181-kg gorilla picked the boy up, as the video showed, and dragged him for at least 10 minutes.

https://www.rt.com/news/344746-cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-killed/

I call bs on tranqs wouldn't have knocked out the gorilla immediately ... all that after the kid was dragged around for 10 minutes! 10 minutes is an eternity in a scene like that. And how do you "fall" into a moat?  That easy?  

3 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

There were three gorillas at the area at the time – two females and one male, a western lowland gorilla called Harambe, who had turned 17 only a day earlier. The females were recalled immediately, but Harambe stayed in the yard with the child.

The 181-kg gorilla picked the boy up, as the video showed, and dragged him for at least 10 minutes.

https://www.rt.com/news/344746-cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-killed/

I call bs on tranqs wouldn't have knocked out the gorilla immediately ... all that after the kid was dragged around for 10 minutes! 10 minutes is an eternity in a scene like that. And how do you "fall" into a moat?  That easy?  

This was on the news earlier, said he squeezed between some bars and fell in, truly tragic. But there is simply no telling what that gorilla would have done. They said he's an adolescent and has never fathered. Could have easily flung that kid and smashed his skull. Im as broken hearted as anyone about the gorilla, but it wouldn't have even been question if it was my child. If they wouldn't shoot the gorilla I'm sure as hell going in that enclosure and getting my child back!! I would assuredly die trying to wrest my child from the gorilla, but that's just how it would have to go. Maybe I could distract the gorilla and get the kid out??? They did the right thing. The problem to me is keeping these animals in captivity so people can come and poke and harass them. Plenty of videos of Buffalo fighting lions on YT. Zoos are archaic.

1 minute ago, Rustydog said:

This was on the news earlier, said he squeezed between some bars and fell in, truly tragic. But there is simply no telling what that gorilla would have done. They said he's an adolescent and has never fathered. Could have easily flung that kid and smashed his skull. Im as broken hearted as anyone about the gorilla, but it wouldn't have even been question if it was my child. If they wouldn't shoot the gorilla I'm sure as hell going in that enclosure and getting my child back!! I would assuredly die trying to wrest my child from the gorilla, but that's just how it would have to go. Maybe I could distract the gorilla and get the kid out??? They did the right thing. The problem to me is keeping these animals in captivity so people can come and poke and harass them. Plenty of videos of Buffalo fighting lions on YT. Zoos are archaic.

It all goes back to watching your kids and keeping your eyes on them.  He looks really little.  My eyes wouldn't be off him for a second.  Code here at my place requires bars to be not more than 4 inches apart on balconies, etc. so kids can't squeeze through them.  

Just now, Cinnamon said:

It all goes back to watching your kids and keeping your eyes on them.  He looks really little.  My eyes wouldn't be off him for a second.  Code here at my place requires bars to be not more than 4 inches apart on balconies, etc. so kids can't squeeze through them.  

Yes, obviously bad parenting was at play here. I think the guardian should be charged with neglect since their actions caused the death of an animal. Tranqs can be funny. Your never going to get it in a vein, and intramuscular injections are kinda iffy. The animal very well could have had 20-30 seconds to be crazy startled and fling that child. It is terrible tho, that animal has just as much a right to live as any of us, and should not be kept in captivity for our amusement. But with the life of a child at stake unfortunately you have to choose the child.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.