Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

Facebook and Microsoft Are Laying a Giant Cable Across the Atlantic

7 posts in this topic

Facebook and Microsoft are laying a massive cable across the middle of the Atlantic.

Dubbed MAREA—Spanish for “tide”—this giant underwater cable will stretch from Virginia to Bilbao, Spain, shuttling digital data across 6,600 kilometers of ocean. Providing up to 160 terabits per second of bandwidth—about 16 million times the bandwidth of your home Internet connection—it will allow the two tech titans to more efficiently move enormous amounts of information between the many computer data centers and network hubs that underpin their popular online services.

<snip>

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/facebook-microsoft-laying-giant-cable-across-atlantic/

Why does this make me feel like the "web" is tightening?  

2 people like this

Why all the underwater cables and cell towers if satellites transmit our communications?

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, grav said:

Why all the underwater cables and cell towers if satellites transmit our communications?

Kinda disproves some theories right? One more reason I question balls. Lol. But I digress that's not what the thread is about but I do find it strange that there are so many cables in the waters. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Groove said:

Kinda disproves some theories right? One more reason I question balls. Lol. But I digress that's not what the thread is about but I do find it strange that there are so many cables in the waters. 

99% of international communication is done by undersea cable.

Fiber optic cables can carry many more communication channels and are much faster (1Tb/sec) and cheaper than satellite for this application.

The short wavelength of light lets it carry much more data than the long wavelength microwaves used by satellites.

Most people probably don’t know that 99 percent of all transoceanic data traffic goes through undersea cables, and that includes Internet usage, phone calls and text messages. This route is also faster than satellite transmissions, by up to eight-fold.

http://www.newsweek.com/undersea-cables-transport-99-percent-international-communications-319072

Edit: The new cable at 160 terabits/sec. Mighty fast.

Edited by VonLud

23 minutes ago, VonLud said:

99% of international communication is done by undersea cable.

Fiber optic cables can carry many more communication channels and are much faster (1Tb/sec) and cheaper than satellite for this application.

The short wavelength of light lets it carry much more data than the long wavelength microwaves used by satellites.

http://www.newsweek.com/undersea-cables-transport-99-percent-international-communications-319072

Edit: The new cable at 160 terabits/sec. Mighty fast.

Yes, I know. Everyone in my family has cable. I have "satellite." It's slow and highly restricted. Funny, isn't it? that you can only get "satellite" service if you're near towers. And they are putting them up every few miles in rural areas. I can barely get a radio station at home. Amazingly, moon missions were able to beam live tv signals to earth. I guess back in the 60s they had better equipment. or something.:1XqXnoz:

2 hours ago, grav said:

Wired connections will always be faster and more secure than wireless, just so much nicer not yanking cords out the wall when you leave your house. They were talking about this on the news this morning, said the first trans Atlantic under sea cable was laid in 1850 something,  pretty impressive when you think about the tech available to them at the time. This makes me think about the submarine they caught poking around one of the under water cables a couple weeks ago, wonder if related???

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.