Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DarkKnightNomeD

The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear program

8 posts in this topic

:sggltiqi:

The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear program

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html

-

(CNN)Want to launch a nuclear missile? You'll need a floppy disk.

That's according to a new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which found that the Pentagon was still using 1970s-era computing systems that require "eight-inch floppy disks."

Such disks were already becoming obsolete by the end of that decade, being edged out by smaller, non-floppy 3.5 to 5.25-inch disks, before being almost completely replaced by the CD in the late 90s.

Except in Washington that is. The GAO report says that U.S. government departments spend upwards of $60 billion a year on operating and maintaining out-of-date technologies.

That's three times the investment on modern IT systems.

Nah, I think they "upgraded" to Windows 10 and they're done for. The Gate(s) keeper is full of surprises.

Sheww!!! They gonna need mo money to fix this, fo sho!!! We spend more money on defense than pretty much the rest of the world combined and we're rockin technology from the 70's to control the most deadly weapons ever dreamt of!! That is insane!!! I bet those are special disc tho, I bet they pay many times more than what they should for this garbage. It's a joke, makes me wonder if nukes are even real?? They sure seem to be awfully care free with them

19 minutes ago, Rustydog said:

It's a joke, makes me wonder if nukes are even real?? They sure seem to be awfully care free with them

There are lots of people who claim they arent.  I haven't looked into it enough to have an opinion on it though.  It does seem silly to run the nuclear arsenal with floppy disks... however, you can't hack a floppy disk locked in some guys desk drawer!!  Maybe it's genius. 

44 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

There are lots of people who claim they arent.  I haven't looked into it enough to have an opinion on it though.  It does seem silly to run the nuclear arsenal with floppy disks... however, you can't hack a floppy disk locked in some guys desk drawer!!  Maybe it's genius. 

That could be just it, pre Internet technology, if your old enough to remember such things like me, would be pretty hard to hack. The simplest is sometimes the best

That means that you could run an entire country's nuclear program from an app installed on your smartphone. It's all smoke and mirrors to make people seem important and to give them something to do. And to spend $$$$

5 minutes ago, VonLud said:

They keep the schematics on cassette.

The launch codes on punchcard. http://punchcardreader.com/images/punch_card.75dpi.rgb.gif

You gotta watch out for those chads!!! We've already seen the kinda mess they can make!! We're so broke anyway If they ever try to launch some ICBM's they will probably have to hot wire them with some paperclips.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.