Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ukshep

Domestic US Propaganda: CIA helped make Zero Dark Thirty

10 posts in this topic

Source: PBS

When Zero Dark Thirtypremiered in 2012, the Hollywood film about the hunt for Osama bin Laden became a blockbuster hit.

Behind the scenes, the CIA secretly worked with the filmmakers, and the movie portrayed the agency’s controversial “enhanced interrogation techniques” — widely described as torture — as a key to uncovering information that led to the finding and killing of bin Laden.

Secrets, Politics and Torture airs Tuesday, May 19 at 10 p.m. EST on PBS (check local listings) and will stream in full, for free, online at pbs.org/frontline.

But in Secrets, Politics and Torture, premiering this Tuesday, May 19 on PBS, FRONTLINE reveals the many challenges to that narrative, and the inside story of how it came to be.

The documentary unspools the dueling versions of history laid out by the CIA, which maintains that its now officially-shuttered program was effective in combating terrorism, and the massive Senate torture report released in December 2014, which found that the program was brutal, mismanaged and — most importantly — didn’t work.

Watch the dramatic opening sequence of Secrets, Politics and Torture:

Edited by ukshep

Real History Lisa said...

That article IS online now, finally, at Carl Bernstein's Web site under Articles.

Who Controls the CIA Controls the Media

The relationship is openly admitted to in a CIA document made public about ten years ago. Scroll to section 9.A. for the relevant part. And as Robert Lederman wrote, "The media is not influenced by the CIA - the media is the CIA."  etc cont http://realhistoryarchives.blogspot.com/2004/11/who-controls-cia-controls-media.html

Media Deception: You Are Not Getting The Truth
The Corporate Media And Network News Is Controlled And Works Against Us
Truth Must Spread By Word of Mouth, By We The People, Or Else It's Never Told

NewsFocus Op/Ed, by Tim Watts - 080611

http://newsfocus.org/images/tv_media_giants.jpg

Let me begin by stating that all in the world is not as you have been told. The old saying that "truth is stranger than fiction" couldn't be more accurate, for we have been deceived on such a grand scale that most would have a difficult time in comprehending the full extent.

The behind the scenes machinations of big money and politics are so well hidden from most of the population, that if people actually knew how things were really run, we would quite literally have a second revolution overnight. Henry Ford knew this well when he said, "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." 

Most people who read this might have a hard time fathoming how an entire nation could be so well deceived, but it's really not that hard when you understand the inner workings and hierarchy of an overly revered media in which we place our blind trust.

The truth is not as you know it. Our faith in the media myth has been our Achilles heel.

Many have realized long ago that our politicians will lie to us at the drop of a hat, but most have no clue that our news media lies and deceives us just as much, if not more so.

We have been deceived by our media to such an extent, mostly because people are too trusting of our news system. They very naively believe that broadcasters and journalists would never lie to us. This trust has worked against us with devastating consequences which are unknown to most.

To understand how badly you have been misled, you first need to learn about how our news organizations have been infiltrated. Once you learn this undeniable historical fact, it is far easier to understand that life is not as you know it.

The First Attack On The Media, Through Money

If you've never seen the 1976 movie "Network" you've missed one of the best Oscar nominated films on the power of the media over people. The media is supposed to be the watchdog over the American republic and our democracy, but few know or realize that it was usurped nearly 100 years ago and has been completely stolen from us in the last thirty years since the advent of Reagan deregulation.

Don't believe it? Put down the TV remote and do some research on your own for once, instead of being spoon-fed your news, or disinformation, as it truly is.

Consider this quote from John Swinton, former Chief of Staff for the New York Times in an address to the New York Press club. 

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes." John Swinton, former Chief of Staff, The New York Times. 

In 1917, Congressman Oscar Callaway documented in the official Congressional record that multi-millionaire JP Morgan had infiltrated the U.S. media for the sole purpose of exploiting and controlling it. Morgan hired twelve of the top news managers to help him determine the most influential newspapers in America. The idea was to find the primary key news institutions that other news outlets looked to and were thus influenced by. (This is documented in the official U.S. Record, volume 54, dated February 9, 1917.)

Once the editors arrived at a consensus, Morgan then bought or infiltrated the top 25 news organizations reported to him by his task force of news managers. An editor was assigned to run each paper, making sure that all news stories were controlled and that the watchdog for freedom was officially neutered.

This was a key step towards total information and news control in the United States, giving birth to censorship, disinformation and propaganda. The guardian of our forefather's dream of Constitutional freedom had been deeply wounded.

The Second Attack On The Media, Through Covert Intel etc cont

Bringing you propaganda since WWI. The article mentions Black Hawk Down, Zero Dark Thirty and Argo (Iranian hostage crisis).

Hollywood has a long history of promoting US policies.   In 1917, when the United States entered World War I, President Woodrow Wilson’s Committee on Public Information (CPI) enlisted the aid of America ’s film industry to make training films and features supporting the ‘cause’.  George Creel, Chairman of the CPI believed that the movies had a role in “carrying the gospel of Americanism to every corner of the globe.”

The pact grew stronger during World War II […] Hollywood ’s contribution was to provide propaganda. After the war, Washington reciprocated by using subsidies, special provisions in the Marshall Plan, and general clout to pry open resistant European film markets […]

http://www.globalresearch.ca/screen-propaganda-hollywood-and-the-cia/5324589

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.