Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
octopus prime

English only policy

10 posts in this topic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/19/we-cant-be-the-united-nations-milwaukee-frozen-custard-shop-defends-english-only-policy/

(Cut)

But Leon’s owner Ron Schneider has remained steadfast amid the uproar, staunchly defending the “English only” rule that he told Fox 6 Now has been in place for nearly a decade, noting that his wife and children are Hispanic.

“Hey, c’mon! It is America,” Schneidertold the TV station. “We’ve spoken English for a long, long time.”

The owner said he worries the work flow would suffer and things would get “disruptive” if the business had to “become bilingual, trilingual or anything else.” Customers might order in a non-English language once and then expect the same accommodation forever.

“We can’t be the United Nations,” Schneider told WISN 12 News. “They got translators. We don’t.”

Schneider told FOX 6 News that if an employee spoke a different language to a customer, they likely wouldn’t be fired — but they could expect a chat with the boss.

The Wisconsin state director for LULAC, Arturo Martinez, said in a written statement that the organization had received “numerous requests” to investigate the language policy at Leon’s. 

Leon’s has been family-owned and operated in Milwaukee since 1942, according to its website. The shop’s custards are made fresh daily. It has been featured in travel guides and magazines and in several TV specials.

To those who call him a bigot, Schneider reminded news reporters that his own family is Hispanic.

“Let me tell you something,” he told WISN 12 News. “My wife is Hispanic. My children are Hispanic. Anyone that wants to call me racist on that basis, maybe we should settle it the old-fashioned American way in the alley. "

Customers on Twitter used the hashtag #BoycottLeons. And the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) has even called on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to launch a federal investigation into the “English only” rule.

Being Bilingual is an asset to a business. #BOYCOTTLEONS

— J.Lomeli (@jesuslomeli16) May 19, 2016

Damn it, Leon’s! We had Leon’s frozen custard at our *wedding,* and now I’m going to have boycott you. ?? https://t.co/0evVYclZkt

— Kristin Pitt (@PittKristin) May 19, 2016

https://t.co/qJsh7aKXKa Well… I guess I can’t go to what was my favorite custard stand… I can’t support a racist. — Jordan Hunt (@Orangesuitcases) May 19, 2016

Can we export these idiots to a non-English speaking country?

53 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

Customers on Twitter used the hashtag #BoycottLeons. And the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) has even called on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to launch a federal investigation into the “English only” rule.

Being Bilingual is an asset to a business. #BOYCOTTLEONS

— J.Lomeli (@jesuslomeli16) May 19, 2016

Damn it, Leon’s! We had Leon’s frozen custard at our *wedding,* and now I’m going to have boycott you. ?? https://t.co/0evVYclZkt

— Kristin Pitt (@PittKristin) May 19, 2016

https://t.co/qJsh7aKXKa Well… I guess I can’t go to what was my favorite custard stand… I can’t support a racist. — Jordan Hunt (@Orangesuitcases) May 19, 2016

Can we export these idiots to a non-English speaking country?

Sure, start a go fund me account.  I'll contribute 

1 hour ago, BobMalugaluga said:

Por que?

Because it's polite to speak in the language the majority of the people understand.
Also, productivity falls when people are trying to translate languages in their head.
Things can get lost and mistakes are made and that's bad for everyone involved.

I dunno. when I was in Europe a couple years ago everyone kindly spoke English to me. Except one young teller in Friesland. It would have been hard to sell me what they didn't know I wanted to buy.

15 hours ago, octopus prime said:

Porque. 

Porque like that means because.I was asking por que why.   lol  Either way is cool I guess. I have relatives that live in the US for 60+ years and don't know a lick of English

45 minutes ago, BobMalugaluga said:

Porque like that means because.I was asking por que why.   lol  Either way is cool I guess. I have relatives that live in the US for 60+ years and don't know a lick of English

Lol, I  know what you were asking and porque is the answer. Play on words and such in Spanish.   Mi hable pocquito.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.